by Ian MacRae
President and CEO, E-N Computers
23+ years experience solving business IT problems in Virginia and Washington, D.C.
If you’re looking for some great Virginia-based IT managed service providers, you’ve come to the right place. We hand-picked these companies, not because of revenue or growth, but based on their reputation and our familiarity with them. All these companies serve small to medium-sized businesses and most of them have been around for 20 years or more. Out of all of them, E-N Computers is the only one to provide pricing directly on our website — no sales call required.
There are some great IT providers for small and midsize businesses across the state of Virginia. E-N Computers takes a comprehensive strategic approach to IT that works well for many organizations. If you’re looking for something else, though, we’ve picked out some of the best, including: Mode 5, Aligned, Code Blue, Entec, Envision, and CTS.
Service areas: western Virginia including Roanoke, Harrisonburg, and Lynchburg; Richmond, northern Virginia, Washington, DC and their surrounding areas. We also offer remote services from coast to coast.
That’s us! Based in the Shenandoah Valley, ENC has been in business for nearly 30 years, and we are a top 5 managed IT service provider in Virginia. We take a proactive approach to IT, making it our goal to prevent problems that could hurt your business. Beyond that, we include strategic planning — including developing a technology roadmap and budget — in our managed services. We believe technology should do more than stay out of your way; it should support the growth and performance of your organization. We are also transparent about pricing and explain technology in clear English with actionable blog posts and checklists. We are a great fit if you:
- are a small to midsize organizations in education, manufacturing and defense, or another industry with regulatory and compliance requirements
- need a complete, turn-key IT department that provides remote support and regular on-site visits, remote monitoring and management of your network, and a technology strategy that supports your goals, OR
- need to supplement your existing IT staff with a behind-the-scenes team
- prefer a month-to-month contract and want an idea of what you’ll spend before you talk to us
Service areas: Norfolk, Richmond, Roanoke, northern Virginia, Washington, DC, and their surrounding areas
Mode 5 is a Virginia managed IT service provider run by its co-founders, Luke Downing and Matt Bakey, and has been in business for over 20 years. Their primary offerings are cloud solutions and managed IT services. They have expertise with technology solutions in legal and healthcare settings. They’re a great fit if you:
- are in legal, healthcare, or are a non-profit
- need robust support for cloud solutions as well as remote support
- don’t need regular on-site visits or are OK with those visits being subcontracted
Aligned Technology Solutions
Service areas: Alexandria, Arlington, Richmond, Washington, DC, metro areas; some locations in Florida, Maryland, and Texas; remote
Aligned is a growth-focused managed IT service provider that has expanded into several states through acquisition of smaller MSPs. As they have grown, their focus has become supporting government contractors, non-profits, healthcare, and professional services like law and accounting. Also, they pay close attention to developing a high-quality company culture. They have a polished website full of educational content that shows their commitment to not just supporting business technology but teaching others about it. They also schedule quarterly strategic reviews with customers and offer site visits for issues that cannot be resolved remotely. They’re a good fit if you:
- are a government contractor, non-profit, healthcare provider, or in the professional services industry
- need fully managed or co-managed IT
- are OK with a 1- to 3-year contract
- are looking for a strategic IT partner
Code Blue Technology
Service areas: Headquarters in Richmond with a branch office in Warsaw, Virginia, Code Blue primarily services the Mid-Atlantic region.
Code Blue is a managed IT service provider that places a strong emphasis on people and service. They describe themselves as “a customer service organization that provides professional IT services.” They run a non-profit called Code Blue Cares that works to provide technology to classrooms and underserved communities. And they strive to be a place where their employees can learn and grow. They may be a good fit if you:
- are a small to midsize business in the Mid-Atlantic region
- are looking for general business IT support
- have a mission that includes supporting efforts to give back to the community
If you want more recommendations specific to the Richmond area, check out Top outsourced IT providers in Richmond, Virginia
Service areas: Headquarters in Richmond with service throughout Virginia
Entec has been around for over 20 years as a managed IT service provider and serves a broad range of industries with a team of 35 employees. They are focused on continual optimization through a 4-step cycle: evaluate, advise, deploy, and maintain. They’re widely regarded as a professional, service-oriented company. They’re a great fit if you:
- are looking for an experienced, Richmond-based team
- are looking for a highly responsive, customer-oriented team
- are committed to a process of continuous technological improvement
Service areas: Virginia and Maryland, with a focus on the greater Washington, DC metro area
With headquarters in Alexandria, right on the Potomac, Envision is one of the best managed IT service providers in the Washington, DC metro area. They are experts in DFARS/NIST compliance and take cybersecurity seriously. On their website, you’ll find a wealth of information in the form of blog posts and case studies. They may be a good fit if you:
- are open to a longer contract but want a 3-month probationary period
- are looking for speedy service that finds and resolves the root causes of your problems
- are in a compliance-heavy industry in the Washington, DC area
If you want some recommendations specific to the Washington, DC area, check out Top outsourced IT providers in Washington, DC
Central Technology Solutions
Service areas: Lynchburg, Roanoke, and their surrounding areas
If you’re looking for a managed IT service provider in western Virginia, take a look at Central Technology Solutions. CTS is based in Lynchburg and serves a wide range of industries. They provide managed IT services as well as VoIP phone systems, video surveillance, and door access controls. In their Google reviews, you’ll find that they get high marks from not only their customers, but also from current and former employees. This is a powerful sign that they live up to their stated values of teamwork, work-life balance, and customer experience. They may be a good fit if you:
- want an MSP local to the Lynchburg and Roanoke area
- are looking for a one-stop shop for IT and physical security
- value partners that prioritize employee well-being
If you want some recommendations specific to the Roanoke area, check out our page, Top Outsourced IT Providers in Roanoke.
Is your business ready to weather changes, including employee turnover? Find out by taking our IT maturity assessment.
You’ll get personalized action items that you can use to make improvements right away. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to book a FREE IT strategy session to get even more insights into your IT needs.